Image Map

January 31, 2016

A Teacher's Dream: SDE I Teach 1st

5 years ago, I was getting my first job and classroom.
5 years ago I had absolutely no idea where to start!
5 years ago I started reading teacher blogs in search of tips, advice, and help on getting started.

For 5 years now, I have learned more than I ever did in college about being the teacher I need to be for my kids. Not from a textbook, not from research, but from experienced teachers who generously share their ideas/ups/downs/struggles and successes.

To say that I was EXCITED to go to the SDE I Teach 1st conference to meet some of these fabulous inspirations is an understatement!


I was beyond overjoyed to get to experience this with 3 of my fabulous team mates!
We headed to the ATX on Sunday for a little bit of girl time and bonding before hand.


We were up and at it early the next morning. We figured the lobby would be packed with teachers registering but, much to our surprise we were definitely overachievers and the first ones there...an hour early! That means...1st row baby!


Our first day, we heard from Reagan Tunstall from Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits.
Her ideas and passion for math have totally transformed my math block.
So glad I finally took the plunge this year, thanks Reagan!
I've gone from teaching math from a textbook to teaching math similar to reading.
Here's an old post about how I took her advice to change the way I teach math.
It was amazing to hear her talk about it in person!


I spent the night talking to a sweet new friend, Marcy from Saddle Up for 2nd Grade.
Social media is a great way to connect with teachers who are just as passionate as you are!
Love that we have so many things in common.
I know that she totally rocked her sessions, even though I didn't get to see her in action.


Let's just say this girl has been on my radar for awhile.
Jessica from Wild About Firsties.
Her blog is something fierce and I LOVE her ideas and all her fabulous freebies!
She gave me some great ideas for number sense and my kiddos are loving it already!


I feel like I've known this last blogger for awhile now, even though this was our first time meeting.
I've been reading her blog, for 5 years, since the minute I found out I got my first teaching job.
She was (and still is) my inspiration.
Cara blogs over at The First Grade Parade.
She is brilliant. I attended 3 of her sessions and have never taken so much away from a speaker.


I feel so motivated, rejuvenated, and inspired to give my kids the best learning.
Totally in teacher heaven!!!!
The ladies are THE BEST mentors a teacher could have!
Love each of y'all!

2 comments:

  1. I was there too! I absolutely loved it and came back with SO many awesome ideas! I went back to school with a fresh new perspective and it was amazing how much smoother the week went.

    Kristen Sullins
    Where the First Graders Are

    ReplyDelete