Image Map

April 14, 2016

Fun with Phonics // AR -- OR //

I think phonics may almost be my favorite part of our day.
I absolutely love teaching sound patterns to kids. You can get SO creative and make it super FUN!

The past 2 weeks we have been working on the sounds of AR and OR. 
{Most of these activities can be found here  and here from Smitten with First}

Of the sounds taught all year, these are my most favorite!

 Before I told my kids what our new sound was for the week, we read How I Became a Pirate.


It's such a hoot! Then I pulled up their (any my) favorite YouTube phonics song...Pirates say "ARR".

 

We wrote down as many words as we could think of that said "AR".


We made pirate hats with all of our AR words.


I set the timer for 3 minutes and challenged them to remember and write as many AR words from our chart as they could. After 3 minutes, they chose 1 AR word and used it in a sentence on the inside of the sentence strip. You better believe they wore them all day long! 

One morning, we went on a treasure hunt with our magnifying glasses for AR words.
The words are so small they have to use their magnifying glass to read it and record it!


Moving on to OR.
Again, we wrote down a list of all the OR words we could think of.

There were a lot more than we thought!


We made this fun little smORe afterwards.
They chose one word from the chart and used it in a sentence.


 Probably their favorite activity of all, spelling practice with OReo's!


You better believe I bought and extra bag for an extra snack : )
#teachingwithfood

Don't fORget to check the links above for FREEBIES from Michelle!

No comments:

Post a Comment